Saturday, May 16, 2009

Squares, Space, and Suprematism: The Art of Kasimir Malevich as Utopian Model

I know I have posted about Black Square (1914-15) and "0,10" before, but I've been thinking a lot of about squares and geometry as an expression of utopianism.  I wrote a term paper that is about 18 pages long, and since that is too long to post, I thought I would just share a couple of the highlights:  



Basically, here's the gist of my argument: 

Malevich uses geometric shapes and adopts the grid structure in the installation of his "Last Futurist Exhibition 0,10" as an expression of the new Bolshevik Russia.  He translates geometry into a message of political and social progression because there is something so simple and generative about basic squares and the implications of geometry when applied in theory.  Units, standardized shapes, and mathematical systems of organization (grids, equations, etc) are not only accessible in their standardization, but also imply a sense of dependence, harmony, and balance.  Proportions, functions, and units all rely on each other, and cannot exist without the presence of another unit or value.  Therefore, mathematics serves as an appropriate model for society.  This idea of dependence and collectivism in mathematics is relatable to communism, and the universality of mathematics, I think, is what appealed to Malevich.

So the next time you see a Malevich in a museum, take a minute to consider these squares and geometric shapes as political messages and expressions of a new vision of society.  I swear, it's enough to give you chills and goosebumps.  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment