Thursday, August 27, 2009

Art in everyday life

In an interview with Angela Rosenberg in Flash Art, Kai Althoff muses, "I collect things, but I don't go and hunt for them. I see things, and some stir in my heart so much, like some photograph in a magazine that tells everything I ever wanted to utter in that moment -- or the way somebody has decorated the room he lives in, that kills me, and I watch in awe, stunned and keep quiet, and feel there's no more I'd want to see in life."

I found this quote as I was looking through artist's interview, and it made me think about artist's studios and rooms, and how they can become art in themselves, consisting of carefully curated scraps of paper, found objects, photographs, napkin sketches, tchotchkies, and the like. I love that a room can become a mini museum -- a cabinet of curiosities filled with remnants and musings of a person's life.  So poetic, so beautiful, and so simple.  There's a story by Cortazar, "A Letter to a Young Lady in Paris," that reminds me of this quote.  I'll save that for another post.  




No comments:

Post a Comment